Sunday 20 March 2011

Photos, Windows 7 and the Cloud

Building a new pc becomes quite a long process; installing windows, I opted for windows 7; then all the software I use. I like Gimp and Ufraw for handling the raw images from my Nikons. Then I needed to transfer all of my documents and photos across from my laptop, that took several hours, so I went bed and left it running. Then there came the shortcuts to all the websites I use, Facebook, Flickr, Blogger to name but a few, all the username and passwords for each, I'm sure I've missed several, but they'll come to light in time.

Once I was happy most of what I will need was on my nice new pc, I thought I would have a look at the raw photos I had taken recently. My laptop has been playing up for some time, hence no new photos have been posted for a while. But alas I had forgotten how rubbish windows was at displaying the thumbnails of raw files. Time for a quick rethink!

I decided to give the Windows Live Photo Gallery a try, It couldn't do any worse than windows was doing on it's own. And to my surprise the software was actually pretty good. Not only does it display my raw files well enough for me to able to choose which files I want to work on, but i really like the batch tagging option, which I will use as it makes it easier to find images later. I also like the cloud editing and sharing options, which I will try to see if they are any good.

I know there are other ways of doing everything this software can do, but in all I was pleasantly surprised with the windows live photo gallery as a means of managing my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment